What has been your experience in following up with a new believer?
What were the pluses and minuses of that experience?
When a young sailor came to his first ship, he prayed that God would give him a man (He wanted to see someone become a new believer that he could nurture and help him grow and mature). God provided a man for this sailor when he encountered another sailor who was going to commit suicide. The attempted suicide was due to the immoral actions he had done. He was experiencing deep guilt in his life. After time spent with him in the Bible, he decided not to jump off the ship. He agreed to read the Bible and by faith, he began his journey as a new believer. The spiritually strong sailor saw his responsibility was to help the new believer grow to maturity. It was a great joy for the sailor to pour his life into the new believer and to see him grow deeper in love with Jesus. Where in the Bible do we see an example of this?
The book of I Thessalonians is a follow-up letter to the new believers in Thessalonica after Paul had visited there. Observe some of what he wrote and see what steps one can take in their own competence in these areas.
Digging Into The Bible
I Thessalonians 1:1-7:
Paul, Silas and Timothy, To the church of the Thessalonians in God the Father and the Lord Jesus Christ: Grace and peace to you.
Thanksgiving for the Thessalonians’ Faith
2 We always thank God for all of you and continually mention you in our prayers. 3 We remember before our God and Father your work produced by faith, your labor prompted by love, and your endurance inspired by hope in our Lord Jesus Christ. 4 For we know, brothers and sisters loved by God, that he has chosen you, 5 because our gospel came to you not simply with words but also with power, with the Holy Spirit and deep conviction. You know how we lived among you for your sake. 6 You became imitators of us and of the Lord, for you welcomed the message in the midst of severe suffering with the joy given by the Holy Spirit. 7 And so you became a model to all the believers in Macedonia and Achaia.
Discussion & Discovery
- Who was following up with the new believers?
- What were the key things that they remembered about the new believers?
- What comes to your mind when you think of a Work of Faith?
- What comes to your mind when you think of a labor of love?
- What impresses you about the place of endurance inspired by hope?
- How did the gospel message come to these new believers?
Application & Accountability
- How do you ensure your follow-up words are coming with power?
- How do you ensure that your follow-up words are coming with deep conviction?
- How does your modeling affect the whole process?
- What would be your desire to grow in this area of following up new believers?
- What would be your first step?
Digging In Deeper
- What is the most important part of this lesson to you? Explain.
- How do you see applying aspects of this lesson to your life?
- When do you feel would be the best time to make that application?
- What do you hear the Lord speaking to you about this right now?
Similar Verses In The Bible
List similar verses in the Bible: