How does pride show up most in your life?
In your journey, what have you learned about humility?
Pastor Jose started his church five years ago with five families. His warm spirit and teaching of the Bible have attracted many people, and the church now has 500 people attending. Pastor Joe looks around at other churches, and he enjoys a great feeling of success. He finds himself critiquing the other church leaders and speaks negatively towards other churches. He confesses this to his coach and wants help. He states, “I struggle with pride in my life.”
Digging Into The Bible
Humility is a character quality that Jesus modeled, according to Philippians 2:5 in the verse, “He thought it not robbery to be equal with God but humbled himself and became a man….” We are encouraged in our relationship with God that He delights in humility. What does humility mean? Humility is not to focus on self, but to focus on the value of others and see them as more important than ourselves. For example, Philippians 2:3-4 advises, “Think not every man on his own things, but every man on the things of others.” Jesus models his humility again in applying this priority. Moses modeled it in his care for the people of Israel. The book of James contains a great set of verses that give us a pathway to humility. Look at this pathway and then determine your current reality in pursuing humility. You may find a step that you want to focus on in your journey toward a deeper, more humble perspective. Let’s look at the steps.
Commands from James 4:6-11:
God is opposed to the proud but gives grace to the humble. Submit to God Resist the Devil, and he will flee from you. Draw near to God, and he will draw near to you. Wash your hands, you sinners. Purify your hearts, you double minded. Weep mourn and wail. Let laughter be turned to sadness and your joy to gloom. Humble yourself under the mighty hand of God, and he will lift you up.
There seems to be several steps to Humility. Read through each of these steps. Begin by asking questions like the ones below to learn where you are in your journey of humility. Talk together about what obstacles stop you from moving to the next step. Discuss together the meaning of the term humility.
Discussion & Discovery
- What steps have you taken so far in your relationship with the Lord from this passage?
- What are the steps you discovered?
- What does each step mean and entail?
- What evidence of humility is in your life already?
- What are the steps that seem to be most difficult for you?
Application & Accountability
- Let’s focus on one step.
- Describe what it would look like when you have taken that step.
- Let’s plan on how you will use these steps in your everyday life.
- When will you start?
- After taking the steps, share what steps you have taken so far.
- What can I do right now to help you continue your plan?
Digging In Deeper
- What is the most important part of this lesson to you? Explain.
- How do you see applying aspects of this lesson to your life?
- When do you feel would be the best time to make that application?
- What do you hear the Lord speaking to you about this right now?
Similar Verses In The Bible
List similar verses in the Bible: