How do you experience God in the midst of challenges?
How do you incorporate prayer into those challenges?
Dan was an elder in the church and valued a growing church measured by the number of people attending and income. He found himself worrying all the time about whether the church would make it. It was consuming his mind and heart. He felt so discouraged and wanted to quit. He asked, “Is there any way a person can see beyond the worries and troubles?” The following scripture was looked at.
Digging Into The Bible
Philippians 4:4-8 (NIV):
4 Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! 5 Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. 6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.8 Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.
Discussion & Discovery
- What does this passage teach about rejoicing?
- What does that mean in your life?
- How can you make that real?
- What other key phrases stand out to you?
- What are the things you get most anxious about?
- How do you apply this in everything: “Don’t be anxious about anything”?
- What is going on in your prayers and petitions?
- When you present your prayers to God, what will happen?
- What does it mean,” the peace of God which transcends all understanding”?
- What would it take for you to experience this transcendence?
- How will this guard your heart and mind?
Application & Accountability
- What steps do you need to take to reach this end goal of experiencing the peace of God?
- When would you like to work on this?
- How can I be of help? How will you follow up on your steps?
Digging In Deeper
- What is the most important part of this lesson to you? Explain.
- How do you see applying aspects of this lesson to your life?
- When do you feel would be the best time to make that application?
- What do you hear the Lord speaking to you about this right now?
Similar Verses In The Bible
List similar verses in the Bible: