What are your strengths?
What plans do you have to improve?
“Sometimes I feel my character stinks! I see my strengths and weaknesses. But when it comes to anger and control, I don’t seem to be able to change.” Larry was sharing this with his coach at a vulnerable moment. His coach began to ask questions about his past and discovered that his past family experiences left him in some deep pain and hurt. This trauma has had a deep impact on his life. How would the coach take steps to use the scriptures and begin to coach him in his character life?
Digging Into The Bible
He referred Larry to 2 Peter 1:3-11(NIV parentheses mine):
3His divine power has given us everything we need for life and godliness through our knowledge of Him who called us by His own glory and goodness. 4Through these he has given us his very great and precious promises, so that through them you may participate in the divine nature and escape the corruption that is in the world caused by evil desires. (Note the following list that he gives us to move toward this deeper Godliness) 5For this very reason (what reason?), make every effort to add to your faith goodness: and to goodness, knowledge, 6and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; 7and to godliness, brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness, love. 8For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. 9But if one does not have them, he is nearsighted and blind, and has forgotten that he has been cleansed from his past sins. 10Therefore, my brothers, be more eager to make your calling and election sure. For if you do these things, you will never fall, 11and you will receive a rich welcome into the eternal kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.
Discussion & Discovery
- What is your understanding of what God has given us for life and godliness?
- What comes to your mind when you think of “life and godliness”?
- How do you feel about your journey towards life and godliness?
- Is there an area of your life that you would like to focus on? What is it?
- What have you learned about the promises of God?
- How do God’s promises help you participate in his divine nature?
- What promises have you claimed in your own life?
Application & Accountability
- What steps can you take to understand how these promises affect your daily life and shape your character?
Digging Into The Bible (Part 2)
Note the list of qualities has an additive factor in verses 5-7:
- Add to your faith
- Goodness; to your goodness add
- Knowledge; to your knowledge, add
- Self-Control: to your Self Control add
- Perseverance; to your Perseverance, add
- Godliness; to your Godliness, add
- Brotherly Kindness; to your brotherly kindness, add
Remember 2 Peter 1:8:
For if these qualities are yours and are increasing, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of the Lord Jesus Christ.
Discussion & Discovery (Part 2)
- Which of these eight qualities do you feel are a part of your life?
- Which of these qualities do you need to understand more fully? What do they mean, and what are their implications in your life?
- Which qualities do you need? Which one quality would you like to focus on?
- What would be your current reality in this area of character?
- What do you desire to grow in?
Application & Accountability (Part 2)
- What steps do you need to take to encourage this quality in your life?
- How do you align with God’s word in this character area?
- How would you increase an area of character that is already there?
- When would you like to start working on this quality?
- How can I help you increase in these areas?
Digging In Deeper
- What is the most important part of this lesson to you? Explain.
- How do you see applying aspects of this lesson to your life?
- When do you feel would be the best time to make that application?
- What do you hear the Lord speaking to you about this right now?
Similar Verses In The Bible
List similar verses in the Bible: