What is important about knowing the Bible?
What is your current grasp on how the Bible comes together?
Kenny looked at Dennis and asked, “Do you want to grasp and understand the Word of God? Dennis responded, “You bet!” Kenny began to tell Dennis,” The Bible is a huge book; it has 66 books, 39 books are from the Old Testament, which means the Old Covenant that God made with Israel. The New Testament has 27 books and represents the New Covenant that God made with all mankind. Many people have spent their lives seeking to know God through reading and studying the Bible. I will show you five ways to grasp the Bible.” He taught and modeled these five ways for Dennis to grasp the truths of the Bible.
First, Hear the Word of God…this can be done at church services, online, and by just listening to the Bible being read. Romans 10:17
Second, Read the Word of God…this can be done by setting up a reading plan that is in your capacity. There is a reading plan online called “THE BIBLE PROJECT.” It is a great plan in how to understand the major parts of the Bible. Revelation 1:3
Third, To study the Bible…Here is where you begin to study major subjects in the Bible or understand different Bible books. There are tools available for this step.
II Timothy 2:15
Fourth, To memorize key verses in the Bible…Here is where you can start with some memory systems to hide the Bible verses in your heart. This guidebook contains verses you can memorize under making your commitment to follow Jesus. Psalms 119:9-11
Fifth, To meditate on the verses in the Bible… The Bible teaches us that meditation will take you deeper in understanding. This takes time and skills of meditation. Joshua 1:8
Digging Into The Bible
A key passage of Scripture to discuss this is II Timothy 3:16-17:
“All Scripture is inspired by God and is profitable for Teaching, for Rebuke, for Correction and training in righteousness that the person of God might be fully equipped rightly dividing the Word of Truth”
Discussion & Discovery
- What are the four things that the Bible is profitable for?
- What do these four things mean?
- What does it mean to be inspired by God?
- How would understanding the Bible be profitable?
- What does it mean to divide the Word of Truth rightly?
Application & Accountability
- Of the five ways to understand the Bible, which one would you like to get started in?
- What can you do to improve your hearing of the Bible?
- What can you do to improve the reading of the Bible?
- What can you do to improve your study of the Bible?
- What can you do to improve the memorizing of the Bible?
- What can you do to improve the meditation of the Bible?
- What will be your first step?
- When will you get started on that step?
Digging In Deeper
- What is the most important part of this lesson to you? Explain.
- How do you see applying aspects of this lesson to your life?
- When do you feel would be the best time to make that application?
- What do you hear the Lord speaking to you about this right now?
Similar Verses In The Bible
List similar verses in the Bible: